Are you planning to host your website or need more resources? The first question that comes to your mind is which hosting service you should choose. Selecting the right hosting service depends upon several factors including resource needs, performance demands, security requirements, cost constraints, server administration preferences, and scalability expectations. When comparing shared web hosting vs VPS
, it can seem like a no-brainer to sign up for the cheapest option at a first glance. If you are running a web agency, you aren’t alone in thinking that shared hosting can be an easy afford rather than VPS hosting.
The reason is that Shared hosting can be an easy option to avail with the minimum monthly charges per site. This can be the most cost-effective solution for your business. Let me explain some more facts about shared web hosting vs VPS.
Know about Shared Hosting:
can be defined as a shared online resource provided by a web host, which allows you to host your website and makes your website accessible worldwide. It requires the least amount of technical knowledge and financial investment. The affordable pricing is the main draw here and our Shared Hosting plans starts at 99 Rs./month.
This makes it an option for those who want a website for their business but lacks the budget for a larger server at their disposal. Also, your shared hosting provider assumes managing the host server including uptime, patches and data backup as their responsibility for you, so you don’t need any specialized skills to operate and maintain your site.
- No complex setup process
- The server is multi-tenant which can affect the stability and security of the server hosting your website.
- You don’t have root or admin privileges to configure the server settings or install additional applications as per your specific needs.
- Your web host will restrict the execution time and resources of your scripts to prevent one site from overloading the web host. This might degrade the performance of your website.
Shared Hosting is best suited for:
Small websites with minimal traffic such as blogs and personal sites.
Know about VPS Hosting:
The underlying hardware is virtualized such that the computer network and storage resources are shared with other tenants. Each client operates his own OS and hosted apps similar to a dedicated hardware. The customizable features of VPS hosting
allow you to scale more quickly and easily. If you predict you’ll eventually need to scale up on the fly to meet demand, the investment in VPS hosting now may pay off in the future.
- Full root access/ admin privileges to enable you to manage and deploy your own applications without restrictions.
- The physical machine is divided into several virtual machines or VMs which run independently with their own OS and applications in isolated and secure environments.
- Performance of sites hosted on VPS servers is higher than sites hosted on shared hosting environments.
- Costs more than Shared hosting.
- If you choose an unmanaged VPS, it may be difficult to configure, taking longer to get your website up and running.
VPS Hosting is best suited for:
If shared hosting is too basic for your needs and you want dedicated resources and more control over your hosting environment, then a VPS could be the right fit for you.
At Diadem, pricing
for VPS hosting starts at Rs.1999/month for a year with 20 GB storage
Selecting the right hosting service depends upon several factors, including resource needs, performance demands, security requirements, cost constraints, server administration preferences, and scalability expectations. Next, we’ll cover the key points to consider when choosing between shared web hosting vs VPS.
Comparison of Shared Web Hosting vs VPS Hosting:
- As with any shared plan, other websites could possibly affect your website’s performance it’s the risk you run by opting for the more economical shared hosting plan.
Higher Consumption of Server Resources
- VPS hosting offers better overall performance based on the bandwidth it offers users.
- You’ll have more flexibility to configure your applications on the server.
- If you have high traffic demands or multiple sites to manage, VPS will be the better option.
||Cannot be customised
- The activities of other sites on the shared server can affect your site putting it at a risk of hacking as well as blacklisting.
- Each user occupies their own space on the server, so security is higher than shared hosting.
||Doesn’t require advanced skills
- Managed service is not necessary. Reason being it gives us a user-friendly interface.
Requires beginner to advanced level of sysadmin skills
- VPS-hosted websites are often more complex in terms of resource management and therefore will usually require a specific system administrator to focus on maintaining the server.
When to Switch to VPS Hosting:
Although before choosing a web host, it’s important to work out what type of hosting you need, whether the shared web hosting vs VPS but the simple answer is: Yes
. If we run a quick tally between shared web hosting vs VPS we would definitely consider moving to VPS for better performance and security and to enable you to scale up your services.
As your traffic grows and
your audience expands, you will soon feel the need to upgrade your hosting service. Upgrading to VPS hosting means giving your website perks like increased disk space, CPU power and being able to customise the server to best suit your application requirements. VPS might be the next best option in this situation.
When making a decision between Shared and VPS hosting:
Choose a hosting provider that will not only meet your needs today but also be able to accommodate your future growth. Your decision on choosing a web hosting provider would need to include factors like price, features, scalability and support services offered.
At Diadem, we offer both VPS and Shared Hosting at our Uptime Certified Tier IV IDC Facility. Get in touch with us to know more about how our hosting services can
be a good fit for your needs.